Thursday 13 December 2007

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my

I felt I should finish the thought and say how well aforementioned small girl did in her part as the lion. She was just gorgeous and so were the other 100+ kids. Just don't mention the parents...lions and tigers and...well, you get the idea.

Even I managed without the magical transporting footwear and got to Edinburgh by train (and back - without ridiculous incident) for the Poetry Pamphlet Xmas Fair. It was a day when things worked - the trains were on time and not packed, it didn't rain (despite the forecast), I found a possible new place for cards, I picked up 'Northwords Now' and there was a great review of 'Pushing out the boat' with the kind of lovely namecheck that makes a person quite giddy, the pamphlet fair was lively and friendly (well, mostly...you can never get on with all the people all the time), my cards have been selling well in the Poetry Library, I met some really nice interesting people on the train, Edinburgh was looking as beautiful as a city ever can...What a day. The kind of day that makes you think the world isn't that terrifying after all.

And now home. Peace. Quiet. Might even manage to think about something other than errands (messages?) and tea and school and animal costumes.

2 comments:

Colin Will said...

We were across the aisle from each other at the Pamphlet Fair. Sorry I didn't get the chance to talk to you - there were always people wanting to buy the new pamphlet - but it was a really good night. Hope you did as well on sales as I did.

Rachel Fox said...

Yes it was a good evening. I'm quite new to these things but am starting to recognise a few faces (and trying to remember all the names!).
It was weird - I thought I'd sell more of my new card ('Happy new hope' - a sonnet for hogmanay...) but in fact it was some of the older cards that sold best.
There was so much to look at and so little time (especially for those of us who had to speedmarch back to Waverley). And no, there wasn't a lot of time for us stallholders to move about and view other stalls but I suppose if it had been empty we'd have had too much time to circulate...I tried selling at a craft fair in Brechin last year (an experiment). It was dire and by the end of the afternoon I knew every stallholder a little too intimately..
Cheers
Rachel